How to Join the CSYO
Congratulations on taking the first step in auditioning for the Cincinnati Symphony Youth Orchestras (CSYO). Please read the audition requirements carefully. In addition to the audition information we include important information.
The CSYO program includes the Philharmonic Orchestra, Concert Orchestra, and Nouveau Chamber Players. Acceptance into any ensemble depends on the strength of the applicant pool and is based on season repertoire.
• Premier youth orchestra for musicians in grades 9-12, performing masterpieces from the standard orchestral repertoire
• Rehearses 2:00-5:00pm Sunday afternoons at UC College-Conservatory of Music
• Tuition: $350 ($300 for additional students in the same family)
CSYO Concert Orchestra
• Full orchestra for musicians in grades 7-12, focusing on fundamentals of orchestral musicianship and repertoire
• Rehearses 7:00-9:00pm Monday evenings at Sycamore High School
• Tuition: $300 ($250 for additional students in the same family)
CSYO Nouveau Chamber Players
• Chamber ensemble that engages and fosters talent in African American middle and high school string students
• Rehearses Wednesday evenings and performs regularly in the community throughout the season
• This is a tuition-free program sponsored by the Queen City Chapter of The Links, Inc.
If selected for a CSYO ensemble all musicians are expected to attend regular rehearsals (two absences a semester are allowed), and are required to attend all mandatory rehearsals and all performances. The season runs September through the end of May, including a performance on Memorial Day.
Online applications are no longer being accepted. If you wish to audition please contact Carol at 513-744-3350.
All auditions will be held at Walnut Hills High School. If you are using GPS to assist you please use the address listed below.
1501 Jonathan Avenue
Cincinnati OH 45207-1403
1.Use Lot D located on Jonathan Avenue
2.Enter at the double doors with CSYO sign
1.Sign in at the registration table
2.You will submit any necessary paperwork
3.Your photo will be taken
4.You will be directed to the warm-up room
1.Check in with the warm-up room monitor
2.You will remain in the warm-up room until called
3.There are no private warm-up rooms available
1.All auditions are a maximum of 10 minutes
2.Students must bring 2 copies of their audition piece
3.Once your audition is completed you will be taken back to the warm-up room
4.Water fountains and restrooms are located on the first floor near the entrance. There will be some seating available for parents.
5.Audition results will be announced on or around August 17.