Cincinnati Symphony Youth Orchestra Concert Orchestra Conductor
The Cincinnati Symphony Youth Orchestra (CSYO) Concert Orchestra Conductor serves as a member of the CSYO conducting staff. The Conductor is responsible for leading weekly and occasional additional rehearsals, performances, developing curriculum, musical program planning, and ensuring maximum artistic quality and development for the Concert Orchestra.
The ideal candidate will demonstrate the ability to create a student experience that is of the highest quality, be engaging, challenging, educational, and inspiring for the young musicians of the CSYO Concert Orchestra.
CSO Director of Education and Community Engagement (works collaboratively with CSO staff and conductors)
The successful candidate must possess the following qualities:
• Exceptional conducting and rehearsal technique
• Strong knowledge of youth orchestra repertoire including unabridged original orchestral works suitable for developing musicians
• Instrumental pedagogy skills necessary to instruct students across all instrument families in achieving individual and ensemble style, tone, dynamics, pitch, balance and other musical qualities associated with performing in a full orchestra.
• Programming savvy that will challenge students technically and artistically, provide equal performing opportunities for all instruments, and engage concert audiences
• Ability to evaluate and adapt to varying student musical abilities and potential across all instrument families
• Ability to actively serve as a CSYO ambassador to school band and orchestra directors throughout the region, building bridges to school music programs, and increasing student interest in CSYO.
• Ability to communicate promptly and effectively with staff (also parents as needed)
• Strong public speaking skills and ability to connect with concert audiences verbally and through creative concert production elements.
• Develop and execute annual performance goals for the Concert Orchestra
• Develop cohesive concert programs for each CSYO season
• Lead all rehearsals and concerts (rehearsals are weekly with occasional exceptions)
• Assist with planning for and participate in the annual audition process
• Develop sectional rehearsal plans to share with CSO musician coaches
• Actively advocate for and support the CSYO Concert Orchestra within the school music community and assist in executing yearly student recruitment plans, including guest conducting at schools across the region, upon invitation.
• Oversee the fair and transparent application of Concert Orchestra policies including attendance, seating, part assignments, etc.
• Advise and assist staff in marking and preparing parts for the CSYO librarian.
• Maintain a positive and professional relationship with all CSYO Concert Orchestra students and parents, CSO musicians, CSO staff and CSO board members.
• Other duties as assigned
Compensation: Minimum starting at $5,500 per year and commensurate with experience
Schedule:The CSYO Concert Orchestra currently rehearses weekly during the school year from 7-9pm on Monday nights, at Sycamore High School. Concerts typically occur on three Sunday afternoons throughout the school year, on Memorial Day, with occasional additional performances as needed.
About Cincinnati Symphony Youth Orchestras:
The Cincinnati Symphony Youth Orchestras program is made up of approximately 200 musicians from middle and high schools in southwestern Ohio, northern Kentucky, and southeastern Indiana. This season marks the 53rd for the CSYO Philharmonic and the 7th for the Concert Orchestra. The CSYO Concert Orchestra is CSYO’s developmental youth orchestra, intended to introduce talented students to full orchestra and develop associated skills.
Application Deadline: April 3, 2017
Please email a resume and an internet link to a video sample of your conducting work in a rehearsal setting to: email@example.com
Please put “CSYO Conductor Search” in the subject line.
A rehearsal conducting sample is preferred but we will accept performance footage if there are no rehearsal samples of your work. Online rehearsal video samples are preferred but DVD videos can also be sent to:
Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra
1241 Elm Street
Cincinnati, OH 45202
A live audition for selected finalists will be held on May 8, 2017 7:30-9:30pm
No third party applications will be accepted.