Company Description: The CSO is a dynamic ensemble of some of the world’s finest musicians. The CSO is the umbrella organization for the Cincinnati Symphony and Cincinnati Pops Orchestras, presenting more than 100+ concerts and events annually. A thriving organization with a growing support base of audiences and contributors, the CSO is the cornerstone of the Cincinnati arts community and an anchor cultural institution in Over-the-Rhine, with additional summer performances at Riverbend Music Center.
The fifth oldest symphony in the United States, the CSO has achieved international critical acclaim and an operating budget that consistently places it among America’s top 10 orchestras. The CSO serves as an ambassador for Greater Cincinnati to the world through national and international tours and an extensive Grammy-winning recording catalog, with over 10 million recordings sold worldwide. At home, the CSO was rated #1 in customer satisfaction and value among all Greater Cincinnati arts and entertainment venues, according to a 2010 independent study conducted by Northern Kentucky University.
Position Summary: The Accounting/Payroll Clerk, under general supervision, performs a variety of detailed accounting duties in accordance with standard accounting procedures. Checks and verifies data for completeness and accuracy. Work is often quantitative in nature. Typically uses computerized data management and analysis systems. This position provides assistance in maintaining a variety of financial transactions and records; compiling information and preparing reports and/or summaries. The Accounting/Payroll Clerk is responsible for processing and submitting payroll, general bookkeeping, health and welfare benefit administration, and any additional tasks assigned by the Controller or Human Resources Manager. The Accounting/Payroll Clerk must demonstrate initiative, responsiveness, and be committed to excellence; possess excellent time management and prioritization skills, multitasking ability and an ability to meet strict deadlines; be proactive, and remain calm under pressure; demonstrate attention to details, take ownership over work and provide complete and accurate information.
- Provides overall accounting for partner organization(s).
- Completes accounting functions in accordance with established standards, policies and procedures.
- Assists accounting personnel, human resources and the CFO as needed.
- Prepares vendor payment checks for mailing and files supporting documentation.
- Participates in the annual audit(s) as assigned.
- Prepare, review, and enter daily cash receipts
- Monitor, evaluate, enter and maintain accounts receivable.
- Prepares grant reporting as assigned.
- Maintains all corporate documentation, correspondence, insurance, grant, and financial files in an orderly systematic manner.
- Assists with monthly close/reconciliation process
- Enters annual budget and projection information into the accounting software.
- Ensures the work area is clean, secure and well maintained.
- Completes special projects and miscellaneous assignments as assigned.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Preparing, inputting, and reviewing payroll information into the payroll software.
- Maintaining complete and accurate payroll records
- Preparing payroll reports and schedules
- Ensuring compliance with payroll laws and regulations
- Assisting employees with payroll deductions, direct deposits, and other payroll questions
- Reconcile payroll to the general ledger on a regular basis as needed
- Reconciles payroll deduction and employee benefit amounts and prepares payment submission documentation
- Keeping track of employee time away from work
- Working closely with the Human Resources Manager relative to employment, benefits and payroll processing
- Other duties as assigned
This is an extraordinary opportunity for a mature leader with three to five years of accounting and finance experience, ideally beginning in accounting and audit, followed by experience gathering, evaluating, presenting, and reporting financial information to executive teams and external stakeholders. The Assistant Controller will ideally have experience in a complex nonprofit that has multiple programs and entities. Other qualifications include:
Education: Minimum 2-year degree with an accounting focus and/or relevant work experience.
Knowledge: Proficiency with payroll processing and payroll software programs. Knowledge of related computer applications including excel and word, and familiarity with basic bookkeeping procedures.
Experience: Minimum two years of previous related experience required. Experience with QuickBooks and payroll software (Sheakley, Paycor, Paychex or similar payroll software) preferred.
Skill: Exceptional typing skills, attention to detail and accuracy, well organized, cooperative attitude and willingness to learn and assist others, able to use computer applications, ten key, and telephone, ability to work in a fast paced environment and to manage time in order to meet important deadlines, ability to work autonomously and solve problems with minimal supervision.
The CSO celebrates diversity! We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity, Minority, Female, Disabled, Veteran Employer.
Please send cover letter and resume to:
Personal and Confidential
Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra
1241 Elm Street
Cincinnati, OH 45202
Or via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please put "Accounting/Payroll Clerk" in the subject line.
No third party applications will be accepted.