Company Description:The Cincinnati Symphony Youth Orchestra (CSYO) is dedicated to the cultivation of young talent and provides outstanding instrumental students the opportunity to perform repertoire not always available to them in their area schools. The CSYO Concert Orchestra is the Cincinnati Symphony’s intermediate level full orchestra program. This group presents 3-4 concerts per season, which sometimes includes regional touring activity. Students play full symphonic repertoire, either in original or edited form, new works by prominent composers for student orchestra, and pops, theater, and film arrangements. The Concert Orchestra rehearses on Monday evenings at Sycamore High School.
Position Summary: The Cincinnati Symphony Youth Orchestra Concert Orchestra Assistant Conductor serves as a member of the CSYO conducting staff. The Assistant Conductor is responsible for assisting the CSYO Concert Orchestra Conductor in musical instruction, direction, leadership and recruitment for this organization. Working closely with the CSYO Concert Orchestra Conductor, Community Learning Manager and Youth Ensembles Coordinator, the Assistant Conductor helps to ensure a high quality and motivational musical experience for the young musicians of the CSYO Concert Orchestra. The Assistant Conductor is an educator who demonstrates superb musicianship, has an outgoing, highly energetic, engaging and warm personality and enjoys working with young musicians.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assists the Conductor of the CSYO Concert Orchestra in planning & programming repertoire which is appropriate for the orchestra and will develop the abilities of the ensemble.
- Assist the Conductor in the planning and execution of the audition process which culminates in late August auditions.
- Assist the Conductor in the management of the Concert Orchestra seating and part assignments
- Provide program research and library work/guidance with Concert Orchestra Conductor and Concert Orchestra Librarian to mark and prepare parts for orchestra members.
- Coach sectionals as needed and select and advise coaches for the Concert Orchestra.
- Work closely and collaboratively with the Conductor and area music instructors to utilize their networks to recruit players.
- Maintain a positive, respectful, trusting and professional relationship with all CSYO Concert Orchestra students and parents, CSO musicians, CSO staff and CSO board members.
- There are no conducting opportunities with the CSO inherent in this position.
Please send cover letter and resume to:
Human Resources Manager
Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra
1241 Elm Street
Cincinnati, OHÂ 45202
Or via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please put “CSYO Assistant Conductor” in the subject line.
No third party applications will be accepted.