||Cincinnati Symphony Association
|Volunteers have been a primary factor in the success
of the Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra from its inception. Symphony
concerts in Cincinnati were the idea in the mid-1890s of Miss
Helen Sparrman, honorary president of the Ladies’ Musical
Club. She and Miss Emma Roedter, president, Mrs. W.H. Taft,
secretary, and 15 other women were the moving spirits of the
company later formed to present concerts. The organization
was named the Cincinnati Orchestra Association Company and
Mrs. William Howard Taft was the first president.
Mrs. Taft was succeeded by Mrs. Christian R. Holmes, who was
followed by Mrs. Charles P. Taft. From 1895 to 1929, CSO performances
were under the leadership of these women. In 1936 the Women’s
Committee was created to oversee season ticket sales. Under
Mrs. Frances S. Wyman, appointed by the CSO Board, the committee
numbered approximately 1,200 women.
In 1985 the Women’s Committee, Friday Nighters and Men’s
Business Relations Committee were combined to form the Cincinnati
Symphony Association. The association was officially established
by the CSO Board to strengthen public appreciation of the
CSO’s contribution to the cultural and economic life
of Cincinnati and southwest Ohio. Through volunteer services,
the CSA engages in activities and projects to enhance public
relations and the financial strength of the orchestra and
its related activities, including the Cincinnati Pops Orchestra.
The CSA is governed by the CSO Board of Trustees.
Among the programs supported by the Cincinnati Symphony Association
are events to benefit the CSO, including Parties
of Note, and the New Year's Eve Concert
For more information, please call 513.744.3361.